Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spring Things

Woo hoo! How's that for keeping up with things? It's been what - nine months?

I'll jump in again, might as well.

Just to keep my future self abreast of what was going on in 2008:

January: Ron Paul. Dove in completely. This transformed into
February's research on various "conspiracy theories", many of which turned out not to be conspiracies or theories, but flat out plans by various groups.
In March, I realized I wanted to keep bees again,
And by April, I was in full-tilt survivalist research,
Which brings us to May, where I have bought a canner and a grain mill, the bees are in their hive, and I have my veggie garden barely started!
(There are more than a few smaller tangents in there, like bento boxes, and Japanese crochet, but I'll skip those for now. You're welcome!)

Ooh, back up. Forgot that in December, we ended up buying a house in town. The internet situation here was not good, satellite created a lag that interfered with hubby's work. After having our hopes raised and dashed repeatedly by local phone companies, and cleaning the house enough for the guys to come in and install lines that wouldn't work (we are just a wee bit too far for most things), one company finally installed DSL that isn't as high-speed as "real" DSL, but has a great connection with no lag. By that time, though, we were already buying the house, because the quoted costs of various lines had been higher than a mortgage payment!

Anyway, we went ahead with the "town house" for a few reasons: hubby plans to use it as office space, we can set up a schoolroom there, it is within walking distance of the kids' activities, the theater, etc., and since it is zoned for business, I can have a little shop there!

Now, of course, these plans have been lying dormant, other than a bit of dejunking that resulted in a great yard sale on Saturday. And with the economy looking the way it does, did we make a mistake? Because yes, we kept this place...

So the plans for the shop have changed a bit. I'll go into that in another post, though. No, really!

2 comments:

Crys said...

Spring always throws me into survivalist mode also.

My tangents have included writing (although not regularly), sewing, bio-intensive gardening (although not very successfully considering the crazy weather this year), reading like mad, mass consumerism, buying locally made products, baking bread, and running barefoot.

LiveandLearn said...

Now, don'tcha know, running around barefoot will give you fallen arches... ;)

I haven't done much in the garden, guess it's time to post a pic of some of my sprouts!