Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bee Checkup

Photobucket

So, yesterday I went out to check on the bees. They've been happily buzzing around, enjoying the wild roses and other flowers. Looks like they're doing okay, but what do I know?

I'm going to have to ask some real beekeepers (at the beemaster.com forums) about what may be supercedure or swarm cells on the bottom of a couple of the frames. Could be nothing, could be they aren't happy. Could be I'm anxiety-prone. I didn't see the queen during this inspection; I only pulled out two or three frames. But I did see some larvae, so she has to have been around recently, at least.
Photobucket

They are putting up some beautiful honey. I stole a bit from the burr comb that was opened when I removed the inner cover. Light, clear, and sweet. Nothing like the stuff in the bear-shaped bottle from Save-a-Lot. Easily addictive, and my mind instantly went to recipes, buttered biscuits at breakfast-time, and beautiful jars lined up in the pantry. The bees may be telepathic, because at that point they began head-butting my hat and rear end. Time for me to move along!

Photobucket

Still no stings, but go figure, as I was sitting here looking at photos of the hive, something stung me beside my shoulder blade! I ran out to grab some plantain, but had to have hubby put it on the sting, since I could barely reach it.

I'll try to get out and work with them again soon. Today I placed an empty frame between two that were partially filled with honey; they are mainly working in the center of the hive. I need to get some new frames ready and add a super, to give them more space. Hopefully they'll stick around!

No comments: